Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Shadow Klan
So I was biking by Comerica Park this morning, stopped at a red light, and this guy approached me, shook my hand, handed me a CD, and started rapidly telling me about its contents in a charming hustler sort of way. The CD cover was deep green with these psychedelic pencil drawings all over it. He told me he rapped about science -- "You like science, right?" "Yeah, I'm down with science," I murmured. He said he rapped about the genome and molecular biology, and he showed me these clippings from the Detroit Free Press science section he had pasted to some cardboard. Well, lately I've been getting my mind blown by the excellent pop-science book Genome by Matt Ridley, so I was very interested. Then he started going off on evidence for aliens on Mars, supported by more clippings. I didn't have any money on me to buy the CD (and I'd want to preview before buying anyway) but I asked for his website (myspace.com/shadowklann) so I could check him out. He gave me a fist bump and said he'd catch me next time. His myspace songs sound pretty whacked out, especially the backing tracks. It's fun, I like it. On the other hand I was disappointed there wasn't more hard science content, and I think the musicianship could be better. Now I'm struggling to make up my mind whether to buy it the next time he approaches me, which I'm sure will happen soon. I want to support local music especially weird local music but I can't support everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment