Monday, December 22, 2008

Works in progress

The goal I set a few weeks ago, to have rough versions of all my coddlefoe material (i.e. lyric-oriented stuff, including the stuff I do live), got abandoned, for two reasons: I had to refocus my attention on trying to book gigs for my planned January tour, and I expanded the list of songs I wanted to include on the coddlefoe CD. After the unpleasant Crofoot gig I didn't want to think about let alone listen to the coddlefoe material for a long time, so to recharge my batteries a bit I started playing around with old predominantly instrumental odds and ends I had started a long time ago. Going back and hearing these funky beats that I've forgotten about is one of the best parts of this music-making project. These things are all in various stages of completion, from being just a few beats and riffs, to being fully fleshed out songs needing only some detail work and mixing.

Here's some of those old things which I've worked on in the past week.

Victims Are Responsible
Evolved from a funk jam that rambles through several sections of sharply contrasting moods and tempi. I omitted a first section which needs a lot more work.

Lucifer Over Lancs ripoff
The bludgeon-like riff from The Fall's "Lucifer Over Lancs" was stuck in my head, in a slowed down form. Includes some funny weird vocals.

When Will My Mind Move On To Something Else
A stiffly funky march.

Um, I sort of wanted to keep posting works in progress, like once a week... good exercise for me and gives people something to listen to who visit this blog... on the other hand I keep holding back from posting more because I don't know that these incomplete things are worth sharing. I'll see how I feel next week.

No comments: