Recently I was surfing the 'net when I was distracted by this loud bass from someone playing music in my apartment building, not an unusual occurrence. After a moment I realized it was one of my songs, from the 24-hour album, which my friends upstairs were playing. It was "I Would Be Disturbed If It Weren't So Funky." I was a little disappointed that they were playing that song as it was one of the thrown-together time-filling jams towards the end of the album. I mean, it came out well for a thrown-together time-filling jam, but still. I was thinking that they probably chose to play that song because of the attention-getting title, and they would be disappointed when the song failed to be as interesting as the title. The title was really too good for the song; it would be more appropriate if the song had a title as humdrum as the song itself. But then, I thought, in a way the title's poor fit with the song makes the title as crappy as the song itself. So it's actually a good match for the song... but of course that means it's in fact not a crappy title after all. This is the first time I can recall coming across a paradox in real life as opposed to something that someone just made up. Is the title good or not? is a much more concrete question than whether some sentence that refers only to itself is true or not. Though I think the title paradox is more easily resolved than "This sentence is false."
On the other hand, I'm kind of feeling like the album title was a bad title for a good album... thus an even-worse title.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment